Sights

The capital of The Second Bulgarian Kingdom Tarnovo, called Veliko Tarnovo in 1965 is a city which ofeers lots of sights, entertainment and many pleasure places – for lovers and fans of Bulgaria. On the tight street Gurko in the old town has passed general Gurko when he and his soldiers released the town from Ottomans in 1977. There are lots of old houses, museums, churches and fountains. The street leads to the Museum of Revival. The next street lead us to the Cathedral from which the fortress Tsarevets can be seen.
The most beautiful part of the town is situated around the three famous hills – Tsarevets, Trapezitza and Sveta gora. Samovodskata Charshiq is another street in the old town which has to be seen.

царевецTsarevets
Tsarevets is the brightest and the most popular sight in the old capital. The fortress is situated on the whole hill which is between the other two hills – Sveta gora and Trapezitsa. The fort is restored from the Middle Ages and has reconstructed king’s palace. Baldwin’s Tower symbolizes the place where has been kept the Latin emperor Balwdwin Flandern who was captivated by Kaloyan. On the top of the hill and the fortress is located the Patriarchate. On it’s inside walls is illustrated the bulgarian history from Middle Ages.
The hill is famous with the unique show “Light and sound”. It is an attraction, during which the hill is lighted with different colors which combined with the music and the rhythm of bulgarian folklore recreate the bulgarian history.

самоводската чаршияSamovodskata charshiya
Samovodskata Charshiya is a beautiful tight street in the old part of the city. It is famous with the authentic craftsman workshops. There can be found lots of souvenirs, hand made at the workshops.
In the beginning of the street is located the monument “Welchova Zavera”. It is build on the place where was the house of Velcho Atanasov – Djamiyata. On the street is the house of the writer Emiliyan Stanev who was born in Tarnovo in 1907. In the end of the street is located the monument of Stafan Stambolov. It was build in the end of 20th century in honor of the great patriot and politic who was also born in Tarnovo.

 

паметникът асеневциThe monument “Asenevtsi”
The monument “Asenevtzi was build in 1985 when was market 800 years from the uprising organized by Asen and Petyr. The sword, around which are located the four knights is symbol of the might, the power and the rise of medieval Bulgaria. The monument is very big and is located on a place which can be seen from many points of the city. It is build around the river, in the foot of Sveta gora, near The Stambolov bridge. The place must be seen. There you can feel the power of the bulgarian kings and can enjoy the incredible view.

 

арбанасиArbanasi
Arbanasi is extraordinary historical monument of bulgarian history and culture. The sights in the village are many and very interesting. A walk in the center of Arbanasi will reveal to you one of the most exciting views. The houses are build in the Bulgarian Revival period and are pleasure to see. From Arbanasi you can enjoy a beautiful view to Tsarevets and Trapezitsa hills which are one of the most visited cultural destinations in the country.
Beside houses, in the village and around it are located many churches and monasteries. The most popular of them are “St. Nicholas”, “St. George”, “St. Athanasius”, “St. Demetrius” and “The Birth of Christ Church”. Most of the churches and monasteries are from 17th and 18th century.

 

арбанашки манастирArbanasi Monastery of the Dormition of the Mother of Go
There are lots of monasteries in and around Arbanasi. Two of them are in the village, the smaller of them, named “The Dormition of the Mother of Go”, is announced as monument of culture. It is located in the north-west part of Arbanasi and is always open. In the beginning the monastery was very rich, center of the bulgarian literacy and culture. There can be seen the famous icon of Virgin Mary which is embossed and chained in silver. The new monastery church is build in 1680. The beautiful murals were made in the beginning of 17th century. In 1836 they were renewed. The monastery probably is from the Middle Ages because the archaeologists have proved the existence of roman roads and old fortress near it.

Contact Us